Mapping HIV in sub-Saharan Africa reveals patterns

Sally Blower, a professor in the department of psychiatry and biobehavioral sciences at UCLA’s Semel Institute, has devoted her career to understanding how infectious diseases such as HIV, syphilis, genital herpes, tuberculosis and leprosy spread.

But instead of donning a white coat and examining patients, Blower uses her skills as a biomathematician and evolutionary biologist to help shape health policy.

Her latest project, a study which appeared Feb. 9 in the medical journal BMC Medicine, centers on Malawi, a largely rural country in southeast Africa with a high incidence of HIV/AIDS. The study suggests that, in order to substantially reduce the HIV epidemic, interventions are needed to reduce high-risk behaviors in both rural areas and cities.

“Your risk of getting HIV really depends on where you live,” said Laurence Palk, a postdoctoral fellow in Blower’s lab and the study’s first author.

The findings provide information that could influence the design of HIV epidemic control strategies in Malawi and other sub-Saharan Africa countries.

The researchers found that there is substantial geographic variation in the severity of the HIV epidemic in Malawi. In almost every community, the HIV epidemic is more severe in women than in men. In Malawi, 13 percent of women and 8 percent of men are infected with the virus that causes AIDS. Yet many HIV-infected women have only had one or two lifetime sex partners, according to the study.

There is also substantial geographic variation in sexual behavior. High-risk men and women are scattered throughout the country; surprisingly, most of them are in rural areas. Only approximately 20 percent of high-risk women and approximately 15 of high-risk men live in urban areas.

In Malawi, as in many other countries in that region of Africa, populations are highly mobile and those who travel more are at a greater risk of HIV infection than those who travel less. People with HIV who travel from larger urban centers, where HIV infection is more common, play a significant role in spreading infection to rural communities, the researchers found.

Globally, the vast majority of the 36.7 million people living with HIV are in low- and middle-income countries. Sub-Saharan Africa is the most affected region, with an estimated 25.6 million people living with HIV in 2015.

According to the Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS), about 66% of new HIV infections in 2015 occurred in sub-Saharan Africa. In Malawi, the epidemic plays a critical role in the country’s low life expectancy of just 57 years for men and 60 years for women.

The maps above illustrate the results of HIV testing and behavior data gathered from 14,000 participants in the 2010 Malawi Demographic and Health Survey.

The first map on the left depicts the highest to lowest concentrations of women with HIV. The next map depicts sexual behavior, or concentrations of women belonging to high risk groups (HRGs), defined as having a high number of sex partners.

The third map from the left depicts concentrations of men with HIV; the fourth map shows concentrations of men engaging in risky behavior.

“Our maps reveal that HIV-infected individuals are dispersed throughout Malawi and live in all types of communities – urban, semi-urban, and rural,” said Blower, director of the Center for Biomedical Modeling at UCLA, and the study’s senior author. “All of these communities, at some point, must have ‘imported’ HIV.”

The research was supported with funds from the National Institutes of Health, including the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.

@christopherwalker9812

Dr. Kham Miracle Herbal Medicine is The Best, It Helps Me to Eradicate My Herpes Virus Just in Two Weeks…….His Email: dr.khamcaregiver@gmail. com or Whatsapp: +2348159922297, I was checking for solution in the internet then miraculously came Across Dr Kham, the powerful herbalist that Cure Numerous individuals HSV-1 AND HSV-2 INFECTION,then i contacted his Email: (dr.khamcaregiver@gmail. com) I Explained everything to him and prepared a cure that cure my HSV-1 AND HSV-2 Disease totally after receiving his Herbal medicine, So My friends viewers why wait and be suffer when there is someone like Dr Kham, That can cure any disease HIV, CANCER,  HEPATITIS B VIRUS, LOW SPERM COUNT, ALS, ACNE, Gonorrhea, LUPUS VIRUS    ………………………………. you can reach him out now

Jump to this post

I want to testify of how i got cured from Herpes By Dr Ofua Ofure, I have been living with this disease for the past 11months, i have done all i can to cure this disease but all my efforts proved abortive until i met an old friend of mine who told me about a herbalist from Africa who cures several types of diseases such as hepatitis AB and C, Human Papillomavirus (HPV), Herpes and so many more. though i have doubt about it, I decided to give it a try when i contacted this herbalist, he helped me cast a healing spell and send me a herbal medicine which i make use of according to his instructions and now behold the herpes is gone and i now have my life back, If you are out there living with this disease such as listed below

* HIV
* Weak erection
* Weak ejaculation
* Pile
* Elephantiasis
* Skin Infection
* Paralysis etc
* If you want your ex back.
* If you always have bad dreams.
* Herpes
* Hpv
* Hsv 1 and 2
I will like you to get cure today by Contacting this great herbalist on his email: thegreatherbalhealinghome@gmail.com
Whatsapp: +2347059497969 more info about his work Websites: https://dr-ofua-ofure-herbal-healing-home.business.site

@christopherwalker9812

I was checking for solution in the internet then miraculously came Across Dr Kham, the powerful herbalist that Cure Numerous individuals HSV-1 AND HSV-2 INFECTION,then i contacted his Email: (dr.khamcaregiver@gmail. com) I Explained everything to him and prepared a cure that cure my HSV-1 AND HSV-2 Disease totally after receiving his Herbal medicine, So My friends viewers why wait and be suffer when there is someone like Dr Kham, That can cure any disease HIV, CANCER, HEPATITIS B VIRUS, LOW SPERM COUNT, ALS, ACNE, Gonorrhea, LUPUS VIRUS ………………………………. you can reach him out now

Jump to this post

Dr Ishiaku herbal medicine is mighty and genuine,I use Melissa oil and Lavender Healing herbs but result were just still the same but using Dr Ishiaku herbal medicine cured my herpes final and I have being living for 2 years now No Sores.My herpes is truly gone.Contact him if you interested of his herbal medicine on Dr.Ishiaku He can as well cure the following….HIV…..FIBROID..ASTHMA..DIABETES…ALS….HEPATITIS B…LOVE SPELL & RESTORE BROKEN MARRIAGE … Whats-app Number On +2348180828544

Beware of fake doctors and anyone who uses this testimonial again is a scam Only Dr. Ishiaku can help you…..don’t be shy to share your problem with him

@marydebby

Greetings
My name is marry debby.
Are you suffering from #_hiv I recommend a herbal doctor for you today he has herbal remedies or cure for your problems visit his email on drogbekhiluherbalhome@gmail. com or
Whatsapp contact :+2348102460821
I was helped by him when I had similar problem.
He also have a herbal cure for the Following DISEASES,this is Real
Herpes, Cancer, Als,Herpatitis, Diabetes, Hpv,Infections ETC

Jump to this post

Dr Dan healing herbal medicine is mighty and genuine,I use Melissa oil and Lavender Healing herbs but result were just still the same as usual but using DrDan healing herbs cured my herpes final and I have being living for 1year and 6 month now No Sores, My herpes is truly gone….Contact him if you interested of his herbal medicine on what – sapp (+ 2348116513016) He can as well cure the following….HIV…..FIBROID..ASTHMA…DIABETES…ALS….HEPATITIS B…LOVE SPELL…RESTORE BROKEN MARRIAGE AND OTHER CHRONIC DISEASE

@christopherwalker9812

Jump to this post

DR. JOROMI IS TRULY A POWERFUL MAN. Contacting Dr Joromi is the best thing that has ever happened to me. My husband left me for another woman for the reason which i know nothing about. I tried every means to get him back but to no avail, all my efforts proved abortive. I was even contemplating suicide. On a lucky day when i was browsing the internet, i came across some amazing testimonies about Dr. Joromi on how he has helped a lot of people with his powerful love spells. I contacted him and explained all my problems to him and he assured me that he will help me. He told me what to do and assured me that my man will be back in 12 hours. I obeyed him and followed the instructions and to my Greatest surprise, my man called me in 12 hours time just as Dr. Joromi said. Thank you Dr Joromi. May the good God continue to bless you. If you are in need of help please contact Dr Joromi now on his WhatsApp number which you can also use to reach him   +2348138695387  Thank you Dr Joromi. Thank you once again

@lyndadanny

i already gave up on ever getting cured of HSV2 because i have try many treatment none of them work out for me i have go to different hospital they always tell me same thing there is no cure for herpes when i came across a post about Dr AZIEGBE, in the net from a lady called Angela i contacted him and he reassured me with him herbal medicine which i took according to the way he instructed, that how i was cured. I doubted at first because i have been to a whole lot of reputable doctors, tried a lot of medicines but none was able to cure me. so i decided to listen to him and he commenced treatment, and under two weeks i was totally fee from #Herpes. i want to say a very big thank you to DR AZIEGBE for what he has done in my life. feel free to leave him a message on email DRAZIEGBE1SPELLHOME@GMAIL. COM and also WhatsApp him +2349035465208..
He can still be able to help you with this herbs medicine:
1…ALS CURE/DIABETES CURE/EPILESY/HPV CURE/LUPUS/HEPATITIS/CANCER/GOUT

Jump to this post

I am so happy, i never believe i will be this happy again in life, I was working as an air-hoster ( cabby crew ) for 3years but early this year, i loose my job because of this deadly disease called Herpes virus (HSV), I never felt sick or have any symptom, till all workers were ask to bring their doctor report, that was how i got tested and i found out that am HSV positive that make me loose my job, because it was consider as an STD and is incurable disease, i was so depress was thinking of committing suicide, till i explain to a friend of mine, who always said to me a problem share is a problem solved, that was how she directed me to Dr Aba, that was how i contacted him and get the medication from this doctor and i got cured for real, I just went back to my work and they also carry out the test to be real sure and i was negative. Please contact this doctor if you are herpes positive or any STD diseases his email is: dr.abaherbalhome@gmail.com or you can call or whatsApp his mobile number on +2348107155060

@francamave

Hello everyone, i am here today on this forum giving a life testimony on how I was cured from HIV Virus while this may sound discouraging and people may not be-live that HIV CURE has be found,while i was once an HIV positive i live with this disease for more than years now, i have been to so many places for help including hospitals wasted money and times hoping that i was going to get cure but nor was able, until God use someone to cure me from this disease (HIV) true the help of a man called Dr osemu with his herbal root herbs medicine. while i don’t have much to say but to give thanks and praise to God almighty who use Sir Dr osemu to extend my life for what you have done for me DR, i will not stop thanking you because you put a smile on my face again.thanks once again if you are into similar problem or with any kind of diseases you can contact Sir Dr osemu on his mail drosemuspellcaster@gmail.com or call him or whatsapp on +2349073889037 and i will not stop thanking you DR osemu for what you have done for me in my life, i will keep posting to the world for them to no that you are in existence , thanks for your audience and i hope you find help like i did for what he has done for me, if you are into similar problem like HERPES,HEPATITIS B,CANCER,DIABETICS.do not wast time to contact him now his WhatsApp +2349073889037 and his email drosemuspellcaster@gmail.com.

Jump to this post

Dr. Osato herbal medicine is the best remedy for Herpes and HIV/AIDS, I was a carrier of Herpes and I saw a testimony on how Dr. Osato cure Herpes, I decided to have a contact with him and asked him for solutions and he started the remedy for my health and prepare the herbal cure for me which i use to cure myself. Thank God, now everything is fine, I'm cured by Dr. Osato herbal medicine, I'm very thankful to Dr.Osato and i will not stop publishing his name on the internet because of the good work he did for me, You can reach him on his email: osatoherbalcure@gmail. com Or you can call and WhatsApp him on +2347051705853

DOCTOR OSATO CAN AS WELL CURE THE FOLLOWING DISEASE:-

1. HIV/AIDS
2. HERPES
3. CANCER OF ALL KINDS
4. HPV
5. Hepatitis A,B,C
6. Diabetes
7. CHRONIC DISEASE

Natural remedies for curing HIV/ AIDS and Herpes call and whatsapp +2347051705853

@yasirmo

Join me celebrate for these great and perfect day which my lord god has done for using these great and powerful healing doctor called doctor Hazzan to heal my sickness (HIV Wich has been chocking me up for over 3year now without solutions, i have seek for solutions online, and through hospital, they keep on giving me orientations about drugs that can extand my years.now since doctor HAZZAN has helped me to erased my disease out of my life, i we owe you greatly for healing me truly and to again, contact doctor HAZZAN for your cure today at: dr.hazzanherbalcentre @ gmail . com
EMAIL.. dr.hazzanherbalcentre @ gmail . com or call/whatsapp +2348169340571

Jump to this post

TESTIMONY ON HOW I GOT CURED TOTALLY FROM HERPES VIRUS BY DR ISHIAKU HERBS

I want to inform the public how i was cured of herpes Virus by a Doctor called Dr ISHIAKU. I visited different hospitals but they gave me a list of drugs like Famvir, Zovirax, and Valtrex which are very expensive to treat the symptoms and never cured me. I was browsing through the Internet searching for remedies on Herpes and I saw comments of people talking about how Doctor ishiaku cured them. I Was scared because i never believed in the Internet but i was convinced to give him a try because i was having no hope of being cured of herpes so i decided to contact him on his email, i searched his email on net and i saw a lot of people testifying about his goodness. When I contacted him he gave me hope and sent a Herbal medicine to me that I took and it seriously worked for me, am a free person now without problem, my HERPES result came out negative. You can contact him on his email: (ishiakuherbalcure@yahoo.com)or whatsapp him via (+2348180828544) and get all your problems solved.

1)Sickness of any kind
2)Help to cure HEPATATIS B, DIABETICS, HIV/AIDS and BIPOLAR
3)Divorce, Breakup problem, To Re-unit or to cast a spell
4)Pregnancy problem
5)Financial problem and Job promotion
6)bad mouth odour or tooth problem
7)eye or ear problem
8) enlargement of manhood

Website: http://www.ishiakuherbalcure.Wordpress.com

@rose235

i am Rose from UNITED STATES i was diagnosed with HIV/AIDS for over 12 years which made loose my job and my relationship with my fiance after he discovered that i was having HIV, he departed from me i tried all my best to make him stays with me, but neglected me until a friend of mine on Facebook from Singapore told me Great healer, who will restore my life back with his powerful healing spell, he sent me the email address to contact and i quickly contacted him, and he said my condition can solved, that he will treat the disease immediately only if i can accept trust him and accept his terms and condition, i Agreed because i was so much in need of help by all means, so i did all he want from me and surprisingly on Sunday last week He sent me a text, that i should hurry up to the hospital for a checkup, which i truly did, i confirm from my doctor that i am now ( HIV NEGATIVE) my eyes filled with tears and joy, crying heavily because truly the disease deprived me of many things from my life, This is a Miracle, Please do not en-devour to email drtebe2@gmail. com or whatsapp Dr Tebe on +2348140544262 for healings Thanks

Jump to this post

I’m very excited to inform everyone that I’m completely cured from HSV1&2 recently. I have used Oregano oil, Coconut oil, Acyclovir, Valacyclovir, Famciclovir, and some other products and it’s really help during my outbreaks but I totally got cured from HSV1&2 with a strong and active herbal medicine ordered from a powerful herbalist called Dr Aba and it completely fought the virus away my nervous system and I tested negative after 14 days of using the herbal medicine. I’m here to let everyone know that herpes virus has a complete cure, I got rid of mine with the help of Dr Aba and his herbal exploit and he can cure the following virus like HIV, HPV, Genital warts, cancer, infertility. Contact him via email: dr.abaherbalhome@gmail.com or WhatsApp him at +2348107155060

@jessica8801

Do anyone still doubt natural herbs? I''ve seen the great importance of natural herbs and the wonderful work they have done in people''s lives. I wonder why people still spend their hard earn money on injections and drugs each time they are sick. Natural herbs can cure herpes, diabetics, asthma, HIV, hepatitis, etc. I''ve seen it with my own eyes. i was cured of HIV by this herbalist doctor who uses natural herbs to cure different kind of illness. Even Dr. Camala prove to the whole world that natural herbs can cure all diseases/viruses and he cured countless of people using natural herbs. i know is had to believe but am a living testimony. If anyone here is sick, why not give it a try, there is no harm in trying. Contact Dr. Camala on: dr.camalahivadscure@yahoo.com whatsap no: +2349055637784

Jump to this post

@marydebby

Greetings
My name is marry debby.
Whatsapp contact :+2348102460821
I was helped by him when I had similar problem.
He also have a herbal cure for the Following DISEASES,this is Real
Herpes, Cancer, Als,Herpatitis, Diabetes, Hpv,Infections ETC

Jump to this post

I have been suffering from Herpes for the past 3 years and 8 months, and ever since then i have been taking series of treatment but there was no improvement until i came across testimonies of Dr.Aba on how he has been curing different people from different diseases all over the world, then i contacted him as well. After our conversation he sent me the medicine which i took according to his instructions. When i was done taking the herbal medicine i went for a medical checkup and to my greatest surprise i was cured from Herpes. My heart is so filled with joy. If you are suffering from Herpes or any other disease you can contact Dr.Aba today on this Email address: dr.abaherbalhome@gmail.com or WhatsApp him on this Tell.Number +2348107155060

Please sign in or register to post a reply.