Mapping HIV in sub-Saharan Africa reveals patterns

Sally Blower, a professor in the department of psychiatry and biobehavioral sciences at UCLA’s Semel Institute, has devoted her career to understanding how infectious diseases such as HIV, syphilis, genital herpes, tuberculosis and leprosy spread.

But instead of donning a white coat and examining patients, Blower uses her skills as a biomathematician and evolutionary biologist to help shape health policy.

Her latest project, a study which appeared Feb. 9 in the medical journal BMC Medicine, centers on Malawi, a largely rural country in southeast Africa with a high incidence of HIV/AIDS. The study suggests that, in order to substantially reduce the HIV epidemic, interventions are needed to reduce high-risk behaviors in both rural areas and cities.

“Your risk of getting HIV really depends on where you live,” said Laurence Palk, a postdoctoral fellow in Blower’s lab and the study’s first author.

The findings provide information that could influence the design of HIV epidemic control strategies in Malawi and other sub-Saharan Africa countries.

The researchers found that there is substantial geographic variation in the severity of the HIV epidemic in Malawi. In almost every community, the HIV epidemic is more severe in women than in men. In Malawi, 13 percent of women and 8 percent of men are infected with the virus that causes AIDS. Yet many HIV-infected women have only had one or two lifetime sex partners, according to the study.

There is also substantial geographic variation in sexual behavior. High-risk men and women are scattered throughout the country; surprisingly, most of them are in rural areas. Only approximately 20 percent of high-risk women and approximately 15 of high-risk men live in urban areas.

In Malawi, as in many other countries in that region of Africa, populations are highly mobile and those who travel more are at a greater risk of HIV infection than those who travel less. People with HIV who travel from larger urban centers, where HIV infection is more common, play a significant role in spreading infection to rural communities, the researchers found.

Globally, the vast majority of the 36.7 million people living with HIV are in low- and middle-income countries. Sub-Saharan Africa is the most affected region, with an estimated 25.6 million people living with HIV in 2015.

According to the Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS), about 66% of new HIV infections in 2015 occurred in sub-Saharan Africa. In Malawi, the epidemic plays a critical role in the country’s low life expectancy of just 57 years for men and 60 years for women.

The maps above illustrate the results of HIV testing and behavior data gathered from 14,000 participants in the 2010 Malawi Demographic and Health Survey.

The first map on the left depicts the highest to lowest concentrations of women with HIV. The next map depicts sexual behavior, or concentrations of women belonging to high risk groups (HRGs), defined as having a high number of sex partners.

The third map from the left depicts concentrations of men with HIV; the fourth map shows concentrations of men engaging in risky behavior.

“Our maps reveal that HIV-infected individuals are dispersed throughout Malawi and live in all types of communities – urban, semi-urban, and rural,” said Blower, director of the Center for Biomedical Modeling at UCLA, and the study’s senior author. “All of these communities, at some point, must have ‘imported’ HIV.”

The research was supported with funds from the National Institutes of Health, including the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.

@christopherwalker9812

Dr. Kham Miracle Herbal Medicine is The Best, It Helps Me to Eradicate My Herpes Virus Just in Two Weeks…….His Email: dr.khamcaregiver@gmail. com or Whatsapp: +2348159922297, I was checking for solution in the internet then miraculously came Across Dr Kham, the powerful herbalist that Cure Numerous individuals HSV-1 AND HSV-2 INFECTION,then i contacted his Email: (dr.khamcaregiver @ gmail . com) I Explained everything to him and prepared a cure that cure my HSV-1 AND HSV-2 Disease totally after receiving his Herbal medicine, So My friends viewers why wait and be suffer when there is someone like Dr Kham, That can cure any disease HIV, CANCER, HEPATITIS B VIRUS, LOW SPERM COUNT, ALS, ACNE, Gonorrhea, LUPUS VIRUS

Jump to this post

All thanks belong to Dr Osato, the great herbal man that cured me from HERPES. I contacted the virus from my partner three year ago, i almost spent all i had because i was restless and i need to get rid of the virus and i did not rest until i saw peoples testimony about Dr Osato recommendation online on how he has being curing HERPES with his herbs and i emailed him and tell him my problem and he prepare my cure and send it to me through UPS and gave me instructions on how to use the herbs and behold after i finish drinking it i went to the hospital for checkup and the result was negative and the virus was completely gone from my body. You can contact Dr Osato to get your herbs too and cure yourself from these virus. His email is osatoherbalcure@gmail. com or you can message him easily on his facebook: facebook.com/Dr-Osato-Herbal-Cure-106002928040920. His website is osatoherbalcure.wordpress.com. Dr Osato cure so many different type of diseases with his herbs such as HERPES, HIV/AIDS, CANCER of all kind, HSV 1&2, DIABETES, HPV and so many more. I want to thank God for using Dr Osato to cure me from genital herpes.

@francamave

Hello everyone, i am here today on this forum giving a life testimony on how I was cured from HIV Virus while this may sound discouraging and people may not be-live that HIV CURE has be found,while i was once an HIV positive i live with this disease for more than years now, i have been to so many places for help including hospitals wasted money and times hoping that i was going to get cure but nor was able, until God use someone to cure me from this disease (HIV) true the help of a man called Dr osemu with his herbal root herbs medicine. while i don’t have much to say but to give thanks and praise to God almighty who use Sir Dr osemu to extend my life for what you have done for me DR, i will not stop thanking you because you put a smile on my face again.thanks once again if you are into similar problem or with any kind of diseases you can contact Sir Dr osemu on his mail drosemuspellcaster@gmail.com or call him or whatsapp on +2349073889037 and i will not stop thanking you DR osemu for what you have done for me in my life, i will keep posting to the world for them to no that you are in existence , thanks for your audience and i hope you find help like i did for what he has done for me, if you are into similar problem like HERPES,HEPATITIS B,CANCER,DIABETICS.do not wast time to contact him now his WhatsApp +2349073889037 and his email drosemuspellcaster@gmail.com.

Jump to this post

I really happy that i and my boyfriend are cured of (HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS) with the herbal medicine of Dr Aba , i have been suffering from this disease for the past 3 years without solution until i came across the email of this doctors who have cure so many people with his herbal medicine, i also choose to give him a chance to help me and my boyfriend, he told me what to do and i kindly did it, and he gave us his herbal medicine and direct me on how to use it, i also follows his instruction for use and he ask us to go for a check up after 2 weeks and which i did, to my greatest surprise our result came out as negative, we are really happy that there is someone like this DR who is ready to help anytime any day. to all the readers and viewers that is doubting this testimony stop doubting it and contact this Dr and see if he will not actually help you. i am not a stupid woman that i will come out to the public and start saying what someone have not done for me. he is really a great man contact him now. with this email: dr.abaherbalhome@gmail.com you can call or WhatsApp his mobile number on .+2348107155060

@christopherwalker9812

Jump to this post

God bless Dr. Aba for his marvelous work in my life, I was diagnosed of HERPES since 2016 and I was taking my medications, I wasn't satisfied i needed to get the HERPES out of my system, I searched about some possible cure for HERPES i saw a comment about Dr. Aba, how he cured HERPES with his herbal medicine, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked for solutions, he started the remedy for my health, he sent me the medicine. I took the medicine as prescribed by him and 14 days later I was cured from HERPES you can reach him through his Email:dr.abaherbalhome@gmail.com or WhatsApp him on :+2348107155060

@christopherwalker9812

Jump to this post

Should you honestly desire to be free from the chains of sicknesses, call or write Doctor white now on >: OO2349091844595 and mail:- drwhitethehivhealer (q) gmail.com , I’m Aldrich Rexton from Canada. How indebted I’m to this man called Doctor WHITE for being an instrument to cure me from HIV/AIDS and my youngest sister from HEPATITIS respectively. He was introduced to him by a Brazilian doctor who have also benefited from his herbal viral cure 6years ago. He said to me “Doctor White is gifted, a man of few words and trusted. Call him and you will be glad you did” such words from a highly rated medical doctor prompted me to write him immediately out of curiosity. I told him about my sister and he opted to cure me before my sister this to him was to prove himself. He advised me on things to abstain from during the period of treatment and also go for a laboratory confirmation test after a stipulated time. I took the herbal cure as he prescribed and went for the test right there in the laboratory was my first day to have tears of joy and instantly i requested to purchase hepatitis cure for my kid sister which we tracked online and received in few days for this she takes me as her Idol after she’s cured, our joy is restored. I urged you to keep these contacts as life saving once being it herpes, Cancer, Depression or Diabetes. Save a life today and this will always bring you joy.

@christopherwalker9812

Dr. Kham Miracle Herbal Medicine is The Best, It Helps Me to Eradicate My Herpes Virus Just in Two Weeks…….I was checking for solution in the internet then miraculously came Across Dr Kham, the powerful herbalist that Cure Numerous individuals HSV-1 AND HSV-2 INFECTION,then i contacted his Email: (dr.khamcaregiver@gmail. com) I Explained everything to him and prepared a cure that cure my HSV-1 AND HSV-2 Disease totally after receiving his Herbal medicine, So My friends viewers why wait and be suffer when there is someone like Dr Kham, That can cure any disease HIV, CANCER, HEPATITIS B VIRUS, LOW SPERM COUNT, ALS, ACNE, Gonorrhea, LUPUS VIRUS ………………………………. you can reach him out now

Jump to this post

I have been suffering from (HSV 2) for 2 years, I was given some tablets at the hospital but I refused to take it, They said I have to be on it for life so I don't want to take drugs everyday for life. No point in taking medicine everyday when u won't get cure from it and I was advice to seek for natural herbal cure, after some time I found dr Aba, he"s the most trustful herbalist that have herbs to cure wicked symptoms,I emailed dr Aba, for 2 weeks been his patient he cured my (HSV 2) with his herbal medicine. I only used his natural herbs for two weeks. It was 100% cured. I'm not a (HSV 2) patient anymore. I'm happy I finally got cured out of this mess that has been in my body for 2 years. I also recommend you if you're living with herpes virus I also want you to be free to contact Dr Aba with his email attached to my post. dr.abaherbalhome@gmail.com or you can call or whats-app his cell phone number on +2348107155060

@christopherwalker9812

@christopherwalker9812

Jump to this post

i used to suffer from HERPES GENITAL for about 3 years so I can relate to people who have the cure. No medications or treatments ever really did anything for me. I tried them all and no one worked. but I was actually able to completely cure HERPES naturally after countless hours of online research. What worked for me is herbs : I saw Dr Ehigie Information online that he normally cure and treat disease and infirmities with his Herbal Medicine, I never really believed the people who were recommending him thou i saw on blog about 6 people were also testifying on how they were cured by Dr Ehigie and Ellen recommend Dr Ehigie  who uses herbal medication to cure HERPES GENITAL VIRUS and gave me his email, so i mail him He told me all the things I need to do and also give me instructions to take, which Followed properly. Before I knew what was happening after two weeks the HERPES GENITAL VIRUS that were in my body vanished . so if you are heart broken and also need a help, you can also  email him. Ehigieherbalcure@gmail.com. if you are infected with any disease like HIV,AIDS,CANCER, DIABETES, LOVE SPELL, HERPES.PVC, or any other disease you can also be happy like me by contacting Him.

@christopherwalker9812

Jump to this post

Hello! I’m very excited to inform everyone that I’m completely cured from HSV1&2. I have used Oregano oil, Coconut oil, Acyclovir, Valacyclovir, Famciclovir, and some other products and it really help during my outbreaks but I totally got cured from HSV1&2 with a strong and active herbal medicine i ordered from a herbalist and it completely fought the virus from my nervous system and I tested Negative after 14 days of using the herbal medicine. I’m here to let y’all know that herpes1&2 virus has a complete cure, I got rid of mine using Dr Osato herbal medicine. Contact him via email: osatoherbalcure@gmail.com or WhatsApp him at +2347051705853 to get yours and be cured from HSV1&2, HPV, HIV, HERPES completely. His website is osatoherbalcure.wordpress.com

@fleckcelia

may the creator bless Dr.Excel for his marvelous work in my life, my name is Shirley from Denver, I was diagnosed of HERPES since 2013 and I was taking my medications but  wasn't satisfied I needed to get the HERPES out of my system, I searched about some possible cure for HERPES I saw  comments about Dr Excel how he cured HERPES with his herbal medicine, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked for solutions, he started the remedy for my health, he sent me the medicine through UPS delivery company. I took the medicine as prescribed by him and 14 days later I tested negative for HERPES, Dr.Excel truly you are great, do you need his help also? Why don't you contact him through email Excelherbalcure@gmail. com or call him on +1 (859) 429 1007 and you can also contact me to know more about him on my email joelmercy6@gmail. com

Jump to this post

Am very glad to share this testimony with everyone for the marvelous work Dr Aba has done for my life, 6months ago i was diagnosed with herpes virus and ever since then i have been very unhappy, i was so down broken everyday, until one day when i came across a shocking testimony about how Dr Aba cured someone of his herpes virus, without wasting much time i contacted him immediately on his email address: dr.abaherbalhome@gmail.com and after i explain myself to him about how terrible i have been, and he assure me that he will help me to cure my herpes virus,after he has prepared the herbal medicine he sent it to me and when i have received it and started using it i was totally cure within 2weeks, i am forever grateful to Dr Aba for helping me out with his herpes prescription that cured my virus. contact his email address: dr.abaherbalhome@gmail.com or you can call or whatsApp his Mobile number:+2348107155060

@christopherwalker9812

Jump to this post

Should you honestly desire to be free from the chains of sicknesses, call or write Doctor white now on >: OO2349091844595 and email:- drwhitethehivhealer@gmail.com , I’m Aldrich Rexton from Canada. How indebted I’m to this man called Doctor WHITE for being an instrument to cure me from HIV/AIDS and my youngest sister from HEPATITIS respectively. He was introduced to him by a Brazilian doctor who have also benefited from his herbal viral cure 6years ago. He said to me “Doctor White is gifted, a man of few words and trusted. Call him and you will be glad you did” such words from a highly rated medical doctor prompted me to write him immediately out of curiosity. I told him about my sister and he opted to cure me before my sister this to him was to prove himself. He advised me on things to abstain from during the period of treatment and also go for a laboratory confirmation test after a stipulated time. I took the herbal cure as he prescribed and went for the test right there in the laboratory was my first day to have tears of joy and instantly i requested to purchase hepatitis cure for my kid sister which we tracked online and received in few days for this she takes me as her Idol after she’s cured, our joy is restored. I urged you to keep these contacts as life saving once being it herpes, Cancer, Depression or Diabetes. Save a life today and this will always bring you joy.
Thanks, Aldrich Rexton

@christopherwalker9812

Jump to this post

Please listen to this man! Called Herbalist Dr. Kham His Herbal Medication cured my genital warts in less than two weeks! I thought I would never be able to live without the warts ever again and now I do. I was cured of my long term genital herpes after using herbal medicine from Herbalist Dr. Kham. I’m so happy and God bless you for all you do and getting people cured from herpes disease, I’m so glad to be amongst the people you’ve cured from Herpes this year. I cherish you forever Doctor. Please please please believe him and do whatever he says. Herb is really the best and probably only cure to herpes. And please don’t be too nice to yourself. Herpes is a serious thing. Stick to the regimen, stop smoking and cut out Alcohol and stay away from any sweetened foods or candies as his herb medicine doesn’t work effectively with sugar or sugary foods and drinks. One week of not consuming some stuff or the rest of your life with herpes simplex virus. It’s your choice. And trust me, I tried just cutting out cigarettes and alcohol though it wasn’t easy as I’m addicted to smoking and drinking of alcohol. Once I stopped doing both and all of what the doctor instructed me not to do and taking my herb medicine the improvement was magical! I was cured from my genital warts/herpes in two week of using this Herbalist Dr. Kham herb remedy. All in all, thank you doctor! You helped me get my healing and life back. God bless you. Email him Via dr.khamcaregiver @ gmail . com or whatsapp him via +2348159922297.

@kristalmelvin

I'm here to let everyone know that there is a cure for HERPES1&2. The doctors have succeeded in letting people living with Herpes know that there is no cure for Herpes and they have been enslaved to the antiviral and other supplementary Orthodox medicine just to help suppress the virus and not a cure. I got diagnose of herpes1 January this year 2021 and i did not believe in my doctor that no cure for herpes rather i went into research online and I was introduce to Dr Osato a herbal healer by a blogger who also narrated Her story online on how she was cured of Herpes after using Dr Osato Herbal Medicine. I got the herbal medicine from Dr Osato and made use of it as i was instructed which i went to the clinic for checkup after two weeks of using the herbal product. My result came out Negative and i was booked another appointment after 30days to confirm my result and the test still shows Negative and i was given the green light that am fully free from herpes. All thanks to God for using this Great herbalist to heal me. You can contact Dr Osato by email: osatoherbalcure@gmail. com or WhatsApp 2347051705853. His website is osatoherbalcure.wordpress.com. I have promised to keep sharing my testimony so people will know that there is a cure for herpes.

Jump to this post

Herbalist Dr. Kham His Herbal Medication cured my genital warts in less than two weeks! I thought I would never be able to live without the warts ever again and now I do. I was cured of my long term genital herpes after using herbal medicine from Herbalist Dr. Kham. I’m so happy and God bless you for all you do and getting people cured from herpes disease, I’m so glad to be amongst the people you’ve cured from Herpes this year. I cherish you forever Doctor. Please please please believe him and do whatever he says. Herb is really the best and probably only cure to herpes. And please don’t be too nice to yourself. Herpes is a serious thing. Stick to the regimen, stop smoking and cut out Alcohol and stay away from any sweetened foods or candies as his herb medicine doesn’t work effectively with sugar or sugary foods and drinks. One week of not consuming some stuff or the rest of your life with herpes simplex virus. It’s your choice. And trust me, I tried just cutting out cigarettes and alcohol though it wasn’t easy as I’m addicted to smoking and drinking of alcohol. Once I stopped doing both and all of what the doctor instructed me not to do and taking my herb medicine the improvement was magical! I was cured from my genital warts/herpes in two week of using this Herbalist Dr. Kham herb remedy. You helped me get my healing and life back. God bless you. Email him Via dr.khamcaregiver@gmail. com or whatsapp him via +2348159922297.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.