Mapping HIV in sub-Saharan Africa reveals patterns

Sally Blower, a professor in the department of psychiatry and biobehavioral sciences at UCLA’s Semel Institute, has devoted her career to understanding how infectious diseases such as HIV, syphilis, genital herpes, tuberculosis and leprosy spread.

But instead of donning a white coat and examining patients, Blower uses her skills as a biomathematician and evolutionary biologist to help shape health policy.

Her latest project, a study which appeared Feb. 9 in the medical journal BMC Medicine, centers on Malawi, a largely rural country in southeast Africa with a high incidence of HIV/AIDS. The study suggests that, in order to substantially reduce the HIV epidemic, interventions are needed to reduce high-risk behaviors in both rural areas and cities.

“Your risk of getting HIV really depends on where you live,” said Laurence Palk, a postdoctoral fellow in Blower’s lab and the study’s first author.

The findings provide information that could influence the design of HIV epidemic control strategies in Malawi and other sub-Saharan Africa countries.

The researchers found that there is substantial geographic variation in the severity of the HIV epidemic in Malawi. In almost every community, the HIV epidemic is more severe in women than in men. In Malawi, 13 percent of women and 8 percent of men are infected with the virus that causes AIDS. Yet many HIV-infected women have only had one or two lifetime sex partners, according to the study.

There is also substantial geographic variation in sexual behavior. High-risk men and women are scattered throughout the country; surprisingly, most of them are in rural areas. Only approximately 20 percent of high-risk women and approximately 15 of high-risk men live in urban areas.

In Malawi, as in many other countries in that region of Africa, populations are highly mobile and those who travel more are at a greater risk of HIV infection than those who travel less. People with HIV who travel from larger urban centers, where HIV infection is more common, play a significant role in spreading infection to rural communities, the researchers found.

Globally, the vast majority of the 36.7 million people living with HIV are in low- and middle-income countries. Sub-Saharan Africa is the most affected region, with an estimated 25.6 million people living with HIV in 2015.

According to the Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS), about 66% of new HIV infections in 2015 occurred in sub-Saharan Africa. In Malawi, the epidemic plays a critical role in the country’s low life expectancy of just 57 years for men and 60 years for women.

The maps above illustrate the results of HIV testing and behavior data gathered from 14,000 participants in the 2010 Malawi Demographic and Health Survey.

The first map on the left depicts the highest to lowest concentrations of women with HIV. The next map depicts sexual behavior, or concentrations of women belonging to high risk groups (HRGs), defined as having a high number of sex partners.

The third map from the left depicts concentrations of men with HIV; the fourth map shows concentrations of men engaging in risky behavior.

“Our maps reveal that HIV-infected individuals are dispersed throughout Malawi and live in all types of communities – urban, semi-urban, and rural,” said Blower, director of the Center for Biomedical Modeling at UCLA, and the study’s senior author. “All of these communities, at some point, must have ‘imported’ HIV.”

The research was supported with funds from the National Institutes of Health, including the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.

Hello everyone, i am here today on this forum giving a life testimony on how I was cured from HIV Virus while this may sound discouraging and people may not be-live that HIV CURE has be found,while i was once an HIV positive i live with this disease for more than years now, i have been to so many places for help including hospitals wasted money and times hoping that i was going to get cure but nor was able, until God use someone to cure me from this disease (HIV) true the help of a man called Dr osemu with his herbal root herbs medicine. while i don’t have much to say but to give thanks and praise to God almighty who use Sir Dr osemu to extend my life for what you have done for me DR, i will not stop thanking you because you put a smile on my face again.thanks once again if you are into similar problem or with any kind of diseases you can contact Sir Dr osemu on his mail drosemuspellcaster@gmail.com or call him or whatsapp on +2349073889037 and i will not stop thanking you DR osemu for what you have done for me in my life, i will keep posting to the world for them to no that you are in existence , thanks for your audience and i hope you find help like i did for what he has done for me, if you are into similar problem like HERPES,HEPATITIS B,CANCER,DIABETICS.do not wast time to contact him now his WhatsApp +2349073889037 and his email drosemuspellcaster@gmail.com.

i already gave up on ever getting cured of HSV2 because i have try many treatment none of them work out for me i have go to different hospital they always tell me same thing there is no cure for herpes when i came across a post about Dr AZIEGBE, in the net from a lady called Angela i contacted him and he reassured me with him herbal medicine which i took according to the way he instructed, that how i was cured. I doubted at first because i have been to a whole lot of reputable doctors, tried a lot of medicines but none was able to cure me. so i decided to listen to him and he commenced treatment, and under two weeks i was totally fee from #Herpes. i want to say a very big thank you to DR AZIEGBE for what he has done in my life. feel free to leave him a message on email DRAZIEGBE1SPELLHOME@GMAIL. COM and also WhatsApp him +2349035465208..
He can still be able to help you with this herbs medicine:
1…ALS CURE/DIABETES CURE/EPILESY/HPV CURE/LUPUS/HEPATITIS/CANCER/GOUT

I can’t believe this is really true I never believe there is cure to this hsv 2 because all the hospital have told me there is no cure to it, few months ago I saw this man email DR.AZIEGBE on internet from a testimony share by someone who he help with his herbal cure I contact his email and ask for his help also, that is how he inform me about the cure process and this man sent me a herbal medicine which I took according to the way he instructed for 2 week I can’t believe when I go for test my result come out negative i am so happy to share this to the world there is real cure to herpes you can also contact DR.AZIEGBE through his email now DRAZIEGBE1SPELLHOME@GMAIL. COM and also WhatsApp him +2349035465208. or my assistant whatsApp me +1 (601) 452-8622 or email: JAMESAVA0001@GMAIL. COM…
He also have herbs medicine to cured the following diseases;
Diabetes, Lupus, HPV, Gout, Hepatitis A,B, Infertility, HIV/AIDS, CANCER

I AM HERE TO TESTIFY ABOUT WHAT DR. IYOHA DID FOR ME. I HAVE BEEN SUFFERING FROM (HIV VIRUS) DISEASE FOR THE PAST 3 YEARS AND HAD CONSTANT PAIN AND INCHING, ESPECIALLY IN MY PRIVATE PART. DURING THE FIRST YEAR, I HAD FAITH IN GOD THAT I WOULD BE CURED SOMEDAY .THIS DISEASE STARTED CIRCULATING ALL OVER MY BODY AND I HAVE BEEN TAKING TREATMENT FROM MY DOCTOR, FEW WEEKS AGO I CAME ACROSS A TESTIMONY OF ROSE SMITH ON THE INTERNET TESTIFYING ABOUT A MAN CALLED DR. IYOHA ON HOW HE CURED HER FROM 7 YEARS HSV 2. AND SHE ALSO GAVE THE EMAIL ADDRESS OF THIS MAN, ADVISE ANYBODY TO CONTACT HIM FOR HELP ON ANY KIND OF DISEASES THAT HE WOULD BE OF HELP, SO I EMAILED HIM TELLING HIM ABOUT MY (HIV) HE TOLD ME NOT TO WORRY THAT I WAS GOING TO BE CURED!!! WELL, I NEVER DOUBTED HIM I HAVE FAITH HE CAN CURE ME TOO… DR.IYOHA PREPARED AND SENT ME HEALING OIL, SOAP, ROOTS AND HERBS WHICH I TOOK. IN THE FIRST ONE WEEK, I STARTED EXPERIENCING CHANGES ALL OVER ME, AFTER THREE WEEKS OF USING HIS ROOTS/ HERBS, OIL AND SOAP, I WAS TOTALLY CURED. NO MORE INCHING , PAIN ON ME ANYMORE AS DR. IYOHA A***** ME. AFTER SOME TIME I WENT TO MY DOCTOR TO DO ANOTHER TEST BEHOLD THE RESULT CAME OUT NEGATIVE. SO FRIENDS MY ADVISE IS IF YOU HAVE SUCH DISEASE OR KNOW ANYONE WHO SUFFERS FROM IT OR ANY OTHER DISEASE LIKE HPV, HBV, HIV, ALS, HBP, CANCER ETC. YOU CAN CONTACT DR. IYOHA FOR HELP VIA EMAIL: DRIYOHASOLUTIONTEMPLEATYAHOODOTCOM OR THROUGH HIS MOBILE NUMBER: +1 (407) 337-9869. THANKS ONCE AGAIN DR. IYOHA FOR MAKING ME A HAPPY WOMAN AGAIN

Hello everyone I was diagnosed of HERPES Virus in year 2000 and I have tried all I can to get cured but all to no avail, until i saw a post in a health forum about a herbalist man who prepare herbal medication to cure all kind of diseases including HERPES virus, at first i doubted if it was real but decided to give it a try, when i contact this herbalist via his email and he prepared a HERPES herbal cure and sent it to me via UPS delivery service, when i received this herbal cure, he gave me step and Instructions on how to apply it, when i applied it as instructed, i was totally cured of this disease within 17-21 days of usage, I am now free from this horrible illness disease called herpes, All thanks to Dr Iyoha for saving my life please if you are herpes simplex virus patient, contact him and I am sure you will get cured, contact him via: driyohasolutiontempleatyahoodotcom or call : +1 407 337 9869. He also have the herb to cure: – ALS/HPV – LUPUS – HIV&AIDS, – OVARIAN CYST, – CANCER – HSV-2/KIDNEY-FAILURE -CYMBALTA – ARTHRITIS.

I have come to find out that herbal medicine its the best solution to all STDs and STIs and other health related threatening issues/diseases, cause i was once tested positive for herpes and i have lived with it for about 5 years tried all form of medication all to know avail, until i get a recommendation from someone online about herbal medicine fro Dr Ofua, indeed i actually do a little/more research about the Herbalist and found out he has the possible cure to my ailment, i gave it a try by contacting him on WhatsApp messenger 2347059497969 or email thegreatherbalhealinghome @ gmail . com he had the herbal medicine he sent to me and gave me dietary instructions to follows up while using the herbal medicine, he suggest that i used the medicine for a period of 21 days that after then i should go for a check up at the hospital to know the status of my herpes, which i actually did, after few weeks as recommended by him, I go for check up and behold i was now tested Negative, ever since then i have vowed to let everyone knows that herbal medicine is the solution to any diseases/infections, despite these Big pharma company trying to makes us not to use herbal medicine framing all sort of bad reviews just to diminished herbal medication for their selfish interest and big wallets purpose, my advice to you all is that try herbal medicine today and be glad that you have tried it and i assured you that if you do you will have cause to share a testimony online just am doing now, visit Websites: ( dr-ofua-ofure-herbal-healing-home.business.site) to know more about the great herbalist that help me and am sure he too will help you.

I'm recommending Dr Tebor to everyone who have herpes simplex virus to get the cure from him. I was diagnose of genital herpes in 2019 and i have been searching and asking questions to see if i could get something to cure the disease because i did not believe what the doctors say that no cure is found yet. I came across a comment on Youtube and the person testify how she was cured from herpes and hpv after using Dr Tebor herbal medicine. I quickly contact Dr Tebor and explain my problem to him and he prepare the herbs and send it to me through UPS and gave me instructions on how to use it and tell me to go for checkup after usage which i did after two weeks of taken the herbal medicine and my result was NEGATIVE. I waited another month and retested the result was still NEGATIVE and my doctor told me that am completely free from herpes. Am so happy and grateful to Dr Tebor for what he has done for me and i will continue to share this for people out there to know that there is cure for herpes. You can contact Dr Tebor on email and WhatsApp to get the cure WhatsApp +2349059544255. You can also visit him on his once again thank you so much Dr Tebor

I am excited to share this testimony, I was 3 years ago diagnosed of Herpes virus . My medical condition was heart broken because it was causing me so many our brakes, I was subjected to different medications by my medical doctor just to control the ourbrakes. Despite my visit to several doctors my health wasn’t getting better, all they could say is for me to stay on the treatment. At the verge of giving up, I went to the internet to search for a treatment on my own at least. But I found a cure instead. In the internet, I read a testimony of a lady who had herpes. She shared an e-mail address of the Doctor. Luckily everything seemed to be okay after I took the Herbal Medicine. I wish I could say that’s the end of it because I haven’t had any symptoms since then. Do not expose yourself to more danger, use a herbal remedy that is safe and effective. If interested contact him via email address dr.abaherbalhome@ gmail.com. or call +2348107155060.

I am excited to share this testimony, I was 3 years ago diagnosed with Herpes virus . My medical condition was heartbroken because it was causing me so many our brakes, I was subjected to different medications by my medical doctor just to control the outbreaks. Despite my visit to several doctors my health wasn't getting better, all they could say is for me to stay on the treatment. At the verge of giving up, I went to the internet to search for a treatment on my own at least. But I found a cure instead. On the internet, I read a testimony of a lady who had herpes. She shared an e-mail address of the Doctor. Luckily everything seemed to be okay after I took the Herbal Medicine. I wish I could say that’s the end of it because I haven't had any symptoms since then.  Do not expose yourself to more danger, use a herbal remedy that is safe and effective. If interested contact him via email address dr.abaherbalhome@gmail. com or call +2348107155060

Am very glad to share this testimony with everyone for the marvelous work Dr Aba has done for my life, 6months ago i was diagnosed with herpes virus and ever since then i have been very unhappy, i was so down broken everyday, until one day when i came across a shocking testimony about how Dr Aba cured someone of his herpes virus, without wasting much time i contacted him immediately on his email address: dr.abaherbalhome@gmail.com and after i explain myself to him about how terrible i have been, and he assure me that he will help me to cure my herpes virus,after he has prepared the herbal medicine he sent it to me and when i have received it and started using it i was totally cure within 2weeks, i am forever grateful to Dr Aba for helping me out with his herpes prescription that cured my virus. contact his email address: dr.abaherbalhome@gmail.com or you can call or whatsApp his Mobile number:+2348107155060

I was cured of HSV with the use of natural herbs. I love herbs so much. Most times, injection and drugs are just a waste of time. I suffered from HSV for 1yrs but with the help of Dr. Kham herbal medicine, I was cured within a Two weeks of drinking the herbs he sent to me through UPS courier delivery service. Have you taken herbs before?. You have spent so much money on drugs,injections,surgeries etc and yet you have no good result to show for it. Contact Dr. Kham now, he is a herbalist doctor, I assure you of a cure if you drink his natural herbs. Dr. Kham has herbs that cure Hiv, Herpes, diabetes, asthma, hepatitis, HBP, STD, cancer, chronic, etc. Contact Dr. Kham through his Email address on: dr.khamcaregiver@gmail. com Please share the good news to other people once you are cured.

Dr. Kham Miracle Herbal Medicine is The Best, It Helps Me to Eradicate My Herpes Virus Just in Two Weeks…….His Email: dr.khamcaregiver@gmail. com or Whatsapp: +2348159922297, I was checking for solution in the internet then miraculously came Across Dr Kham, the powerful herbalist that Cure Numerous individuals HSV-1 AND HSV-2 INFECTION,then i contacted his Email: (dr.khamcaregiver@gmail. com) I Explained everything to him and prepared a cure that cure my HSV-1 AND HSV-2 Disease totally after receiving his Herbal medicine, So My friends viewers why wait and be suffer when there is someone like Dr Kham, That can cure any disease HIV, CANCER,  HEPATITIS B VIRUS, LOW SPERM COUNT, ALS, ACNE, Gonorrhea, LUPUS VIRUS    ………………………………. you can reach him out now

Please sign in or register to post a reply.